COVID-19 Updated Advice to Members March 11 2020
Due to the developing circumstances regarding the outbreak of COVID - 19, we understand the worry and concern you are all experiencing at this time. You are no doubt fielding alot of questions from parents and young people and we just wanted to give you some reassuring guidance and support on this matter.
We recommend that you, in all your youth theatre activities, can still go ahead for the foreseeable, making sure to follow the most up to date advice from the Chief Medical Officer Dr. Tony Holahan, the HSE and the Government.
Regarding workshops and upcoming performances here are some useful practical reminders for participants and audiences:
• Any young person, leader or audience member who has been to Italy/ affected region/ has been in contact with a person with a confirmed case of coronavirus (COVID-19)/ is more vulnerable due to a current or underlying illness or is otherwise at risk as per HSE advice should be asked not to attend for the moment.
• With regard to the spaces that you work out of, make sure there is disinfectant to clean down surfaces like door handles, tables, kitchen counters, stair banisters etc. Make sure there is soap and hot water in bathrooms for washing hands and use paper towels in the absence of hand dryers for drying hands.
• Ensure all participants wash their hands properly and often.
• When coughing/ sneezing participants and leaders should do this into their elbow turning away from others as much as possible.
• Avoid workshop exercises with a lot face to face / touching and body contact.
• At the start of workshops address the group reminding them of the hygiene advice and if appropriate, address any fears/ concerns they might have.
• At the start of a public performance also remind the audience of good hygiene practice whilst in attendance.
For more details refer to the HSE Website: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html
Youth Theatre Ireland’s programmes will continue to go ahead as normal unless otherwise stated but as above we would ask anyone who has been to Italy/ affected region/ has been in contact with a person with a confirmed case of coronavirus (COVID-19)/ is more vulnerable due to a current or underlying illness or is otherwise at risk as per HSE advice, not to participate for the moment for the safety and wellbeing of everyone involved.
If there is any change to this guidance arising from HSE and Government advice we will be in contact with you through email and social media. If you have any questions or want to discuss anything further in relation to your youth theatre and COVID-19 please feel free to get in contact with our office.
Youth Theatre Ireland