Announcing the National Festival of Youth Theatres 2018
It might be hard to imagine balmy summer days but the good news is that July is just on the horizon, and with July comes the National Festival of Youth Theatres. You can now submit your Expression of Interest. The dates are 04 - 08 July and the venue is Kilkenny. This year we are shaking things up a little, introducing a few surprises and trying some new things. Intrigued? You should be.
The first adjustment to the usual order is that we will be introducing a festival theme, but we want your ideas. Please include your youth theatre’s suggestions for a festival theme on your Expression of Interest form and we will include them in our deliberations. So set your alarm clock to 4th July and get your applications in by 20 April.
The festival is the biggest gathering of youth theatres in Ireland. We are currently putting together a workshop programme for participants featuring five expert facilitators. There will be lots of opportunities for youth theatre members from all over the country to get to know each other. It will be full-on and lots of fun!
This year the Festival will start on the Wednesday (04 July) and finish on the Sunday (08July).
- 13 youth theatres can participate.
- The Festival is open to youth theatre members aged 12+.
- Each youth theatre can bring a maximum of 8 participants.
- Each youth theatre must bring two leaders. These leaders will be responsible for the welfare of the group. The gender of the leaders should reflect the gender mix in the group (e.g. if you have a mixed group, you should have one male, one female leader). Leaders should be aged over 21. (If there is a situation where a group has a very experienced leader aged over 21 and another leader aged 20, who has demonstrable experience in a leadership role, this may be acceptable subject to certain conditions. Contact Katie on 01-8781301 for more information).
- At least one leader per youth theatre must be available to attend an Information Day in Dublin on Saturday 09 June.
- Youth theatres do not have to bring a production or prepare anything in advance.
- There will be a full social programme for participants and a Leaders’ programme featuring workshops, discussions and skills sharing opportunities.
- Accommodation is in dorm rooms. Please note: this is also the case for leader accommodation.
How Much Does it Cost?
Youth Theatre Ireland believes that all young people should be able to participate in our programmes so there is no cost. We will provide accommodation and meals. Youth theatres are responsible for their travel to and from Kilkenny.
How can my Youth Theatre Get Involved?
We expect a high level of interest and we may not be able to offer places to all youth theatres that wish to take part. To give your youth theatre the best possible chance, you need to complete the Expression of Interest Form (download below) and return it to: Katie Martin, Youth Theatre Ireland, 7 North Great George’s Street, Dublin 1. You can also return it by email.
The closing date for return of the forms is Friday 20 April.