Announcing the 2019 National Festival of Youth Theatres
It’s that time of year again!! It might be hard to imagine balmy summer days as it’s been cold and rainy around the island. The good news, though, is that July is just around the corner, and with July comes the National Festival of Youth Theatres! You can now submit your Expression of Interest until Friday, 22 March. The dates are 3-7 July and the venue is Kilkenny College.
You can now submit your Expression of Interest Form to take part in the National Festival of Youth Theatres 2019 – the biggest gathering of youth theatres in Ireland.
The Festival offers 5 days of specialist core workshops, roving skills workshops, leaders’ activities, social activities and the sharing of short devised pieces with other participants. We are currently bringing together 5 new specialist facilitators and a programme of activities to dazzle and challenge. There will be lots of opportunities for youth theatre members from all over the country to get to know each other. It will be full-on and lots of fun!
We are asking youth theatres to suggest a theme for the festival again this year after the success of the theme you suggested for last year’s festival – ‘Journeys’. So get your thinking hats on and let us know your ideas through the Expression of Interest form!
The festival is the biggest gathering of youth theatres in Ireland. We are currently putting together a workshop programme for participants featuring five expert facilitators. There will be lots of opportunities for youth theatre members to strengthen their friendships within their group and for to get to know like-minded people from all over the country. It will be full-on and lots of fun!
When is it?
This year the Festival starts on Wednesday, 3 July, and finishes on Sunday, 8 July.
What do we need to know?
- 13 youth theatres from around the country can join the Festival in Kilkenny.
- The Festival is open to youth theatre members aged 12+.
- Each youth theatre should bring 8 participants.
- Each youth theatre must bring two leaders who have been Garda vetted in advance of the Festival. These leaders will be responsible for the welfare of the group. The gender of the leaders should reflect the gender mix in the group (e.g. If you have a mixed group, you should have one male leader and one female leader). Leaders should be aged over 21. (If there is a situation where a group has a very experienced leader aged over 21 and another leader aged 20, who has demonstrable experience in a leadership role, this may be acceptable subject to certain conditions. Contact Alan on 01-878-1301 for more information).
- At least one leader per youth theatre must be available to attend an Information Day in Dublin on Saturday, 8 June.
- Youth theatres do not have to bring a production or prepare anything in advance.
- There will be a workhop and social programme participants and a Leaders’ programme featuring workshops, discussions and skills sharing opportunities.
- Accommodation is in dorm rooms. Please note: this is also the case for leader accommodation.
How Much Does it Cost?
Youth Theatre Ireland believes that all young people should be able to participate in our programmes so there is no participation fee. We will provide accommodation, meals, and the activity programme. Youth theatres are responsible for their travel to and from Kilkenny. We do ask youth theatres to pay a total of €10 per participant that is boken down as follows: €5 per participant for a Festival t-shirt and €5 per participant for a live theatre performance during the Festival).
This opportunity sounds incredible, how can my youth theatre join the fun?
First, read the 2019 Information Sheet, which you can download here.
Second, download and complete the 2019 Expression of Interest Form.
We expect a high level of interest and may not be able to offer places to all youth theatres that wish to take part. To give your youth theatre the best possible chance, you need to complete the Expression of Interest Form and post it to:
Shelley Troupe, General Manager
Youth Theatre Ireland
7 North Great George’s Stree
email it to email@example.com.
The closing date for return of the forms is Friday, March 22, at 5.30pm.