2017 National Festival: Be Part of It.
The days are getting longer so it’s time to start making summer plans! If there is one event you don’t want to miss, it is the National Festival of Youth Theatres. An ever popular programme, it will take place from 05 - 09 July.
Wednesday 05 - Sunday 09 July
Kilkenny College, Castlecomer Road, Kilkenny.
Closing date for Applying: 26 April.
The National Festival is a unique experience. It will provide your members with a fantastic opportunity to learn new skills, work with specialist facilitators and get to know young people from youth theatres all around the country. It will be full on and a lot of fun!
For youth theatres, it is an invaluable chance to develop leaders’ expertise and build relationships with other groups.
We are putting together a team of workshop facilitators (details soon!) who specialise in a range of different skills and approaches. While each youth theatre member will spend most of their time in a core workshop group working with a core facilitator, they will also get a chance to work with other facilitators over the course of the Festival.
This year the Festival will start on the Wednesday (05 July) and finish on the Sunday (09 July).
- Twelve youth theatres can participate.
- The Festival is open to youth theatre members aged 12+.
- Each youth theatre can bring a maximum of 8 participants.
- Each youth theatre must bring two leaders. These leaders will be responsible for the welfare of the group. The gender of the leaders should reflect the gender mix in the group (e.g. if you have a mixed group, you should have one male, one female leader). Leaders should be aged over 21. (If there is a situation where a group has a very experienced leader aged over 21 and another leader aged 20, who has demonstrable experience in a leadership role, this may be acceptable subject to certain conditions. Contact Katie on 01-8781301 for more information).
- At least one leader per youth theatre must be available to attend an Information Day in Dublin on Saturday 17 June.
- Youth Theatres do not have to bring a production or prepare anything in advance.
- There will be a full social programme for participants and a Leaders’ programme featuring workshops, discussions and skills sharing opportunities.
- Accommodation is in dorm rooms. Please note: this is also the case for leader accommodation.
How Much Does it Cost?
Youth Theatre Ireland believes that all young people should be able to participate in our programmes so there is no cost. We will provide accommodation and meals. Youth theatres are responsible for their travel to and from Kilkenny.
How Does My Youth Theatre Apply?
We expect a high level of interest and we may not be able to offer places to all youth theatres that wish to take part.
To give your youth theatre the best possible chance, you need to complete the Expression of Interest Form (download below) and return it to:
Katie Martin, Youth Theatre Ireland, 7 North Great George’s Street, Dublin 1. You can also return it by email.
The closing date for return of the forms is Wednesday 26 April.